Sunday, February 2, 2014

Entry #3: Emotional Reaction



Throughout the memoir, Malala Yousafzai speaks of her remarkable passion for education. Her determination to continue her fight for education even after her tragic shooting is made clear in the last few pages of the novel where Yousafzai summarizes her after thoughts on her journey, her present state, and her future. When she speaks of her father’s plea for her to stay in England to be educated, she responds by saying “he is right. I want to learn and be trained well with the weapon of knowledge. Then I will be able to fight more effectively for my cause”(311).
This passage impressed me not only because it metaphorically displayed Yousafzai’s passion for education by comparing her knowledge to weapons and her goal of winning her fight, but also because it made me contemplate my own thoughts on education. Yousafzai says she wants to learn because it will enable her to make changes in the world, which is perhaps the greatest reward of receiving an education. However, when my peers and I get caught up in the difficult and less rewarding aspects of school, we begin taking it for granted. We easily forget that school, and doing well in school, should be about more than enabling us to make a comfortable living.  
Many people say that education is the key to success. But what kind of success are they talking about? Yousafzai speaks of a kind of success throughout the memoir that doesn't have to do with money, but rather the success of making a beneficial change in the world. When Malala Yousafzai speaks of her excitement about being educated, it made me take a step back and think about what I want to do with my education. I understand that a successful education will be one that leads not to a high salary, but rather to an opportunity to make change in the world, like Malala.  

No comments:

Post a Comment