Sunday, February 2, 2014

Entry #1: Initial Impressions


Prior to choosing my selected memoir, I am Malala, I had heard Malala Yousafzai’s name once or twice, but it had never been explained to me who she was or the importance of her incredible story. When my dad purchased her memoir for me, I was immediately interested by the blunt and hopeful words printed on the cover of the book: “The girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban.” I did an Internet search of her name and came across an interview she had done with Jon Stewart, which I watched and was mesmerized by. After watching the interview, I chose the book as my selected memoir because I found it amazing that Malala spoke of her fight for women’s education even after coming face to face with death.
I anticipate being deeply moved by the memoir, because it looks as though it showcases Malala’s thoughts on a subject she is truly passionate about. However, I also am a bit hesitant that the book will not hold my complete attention the entire time because, after briefly looking through the first few chapters, it appears that Malala provides a great amount of background information about her family before starting to talk about the shooting and its aftermath. The chapters are quite long and I am concerned they might be hard to get through even though I am very interested in the subject of the book itself. However, the book is split into five separate parts, which will hopefully make it easier to read, follow, and refer to. Overall, I am very hopeful about the potential this book has to stick with me for the rest of my life.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment